Summer Beauty Guide: Makeup
In the summertime, the days are longer, the weather is warmer, and our beauty routines get switched up. Master that summer glow or try the no-makeup makeup look with the below tips!
1. Change up your shades. As your skin gets that sun-kissed glow, you may need a different shade of foundation and concealer to accommodate changes between your winter and summer coloring. You can even opt for a tinted moisturizer a shade darker than you’d wear in winter. Pro tip: match the foundation shade to your skin on your face, not on any limb, as those tend to be darker than the rest of your body.
2. Cream eyeshadow will change your life. Cream shadows often are often more water-resistant and long-wearing than their powdery sisters, making them ideal for summertime. Powder shadows can travel along with the sweat and oils of your face and end up in areas you never intended for them to be. Pro Tip: If you pick one that’s a shade lighter than your skin tone or in a pretty pink shade, these gems can double as highlighters and even blush.
My current faves are the Colourpop Supershock shadows. They are packed with pigment, creamy and have an undeniable lasting power.
3. Don’t forget a primer. The oils of your skin are known to separate the pigments in foundation, making it look uneven and blotchy. Primer creates a shield and prevents foundation and your skin’s natural oils from mingling. Since pores generally open up in warmer weather (which makes them a bit more visible to the naked eye), anything that works to blur that canvas will help you out.
4. Go waterproof. Keep your lashes well-nourished, clump-free, and free of smears by using a waterproof mascara that is enriched with good-for-you oils. Pro Tip: Avoid under-eye smears by not applying mascara on your lower lashes. Oils and sweat will collect under your eyes in the summer, and this could lead to transfer or smudging.
5. With bronzer, less is more. PSA: bronzer isn’t a second-step foundation, and you don’t wear it all over your face. Keep it on the apples of the cheeks if you just want a little tint, or lightly apply it over your forehead and right below your cheek bone. Pro Tip: Be sure to blend harsh lines and keep metallics to a minimum to avoid an overly shiny look.
6. Blot or spray, don’t smear. If you need to remove oils or sweat from your face, taking a sheet of blotting paper and lightly touch it to your skin so it can absorb some of the oil. Rubbing will just smear the oils and your makeup around your face, which is not the look. When it comes to refreshing your face, don’t layer on pounds of extra product. Pro Tip: Keep a setting spray handy after makeup application to set your look, provide moisture that won’t remove your makeup, and add a little bit of extra SPF protection as well. Many are formulated with aloe to soothe skin along the way, too.
7. Pick a stain. In summer, lip stains are the way to go: they don’t feel heavy on your lips and won’t roll off with sweat. Pro Tip: Line with a lip liner to have that sheer look last longer!
Check out Generation G by Glossier, a soft, popsicle-stain flush. It's currently on backorder, is a total must-have. Save 20% off your Glossier order here.